Our Medium Voltage Capacitor Banks are available in a range of voltage options, up to 36kV, and can operate at frequencies ranging from 50Hz to 60Hz. The capacitor banks can handle capacitance ratings of up to 50MVar, providing excellent power factor correction and reducing reactive power in medium voltage electrical systems. The capacitors are of self-healing type and made of metalized polypropylene film which ensures excellent performance and longevity.
The Medium Voltage Capacitor Banks are available in air or liquid-cooled designs, providing flexibility and convenience for different applications. The enclosures are constructed from high-quality steel and are finished with a powder-coating to provide excellent durability and resistance to harsh environments. The banks are available in a range of protection levels, from IP20 to IP54, ensuring that they can operate reliably in a wide range of industrial environments.
Our Medium Voltage Capacitor Banks are certified to meet a range of international standards, including CE, UL, CSA, RoHS, REACH, and ISO 9001, providing peace of mind and assurance of quality and safety.
If you have any further questions or would like to learn more about our Medium Voltage Capacitor Banks, please feel free to contact us.
Power quality is important for distribution utilities as well as industrial, commercial, and infrastructure power users. Utilities are focused on minimizing network losses and maintaining grid parameters, while their customers – industrial, commercial buildings, infrastructure, and transportation system operators – are concerned with operational efficiency, reliability, and compliance with grid codes.
The power quality challenge has become even more important with the growth of renewable energy generation and electronics in the consumer and industrial sectors. This article will introduce medium voltage capacitor banks so that you can choose a more suitable medium voltage capacitor bank.
1. What is a medium voltage capacitor bank
Medium voltage capacitors consist of basic capacitors or partial capacitors, usually connected in several series and parallel groups, providing the required electrical characteristics of the unit. Medium and high voltage capacitor banks allow centralized compensation of large reactive power levels up to 100MVAr. These capacitors are rated up to 150kV and can be connected to the primary side of a transformer. This means that less current needs to be compensated for the same amount of reactive power. Capacitors connected to medium voltage work on the same principle as low voltage capacitors and medium voltage capacitor banks bring reactive power compensation efficiency to a higher level.
2. Advantages of medium voltage reactive power compensation
Capacitors connected to medium voltage are often used for centralized reactive power compensation. This is a suitable solution if there is a large or distributed load in the plant. In addition, medium voltage compensation can be used for higher reactive power compensation than in the low voltage case.
4. Characteristics of medium voltage capacitor banks
- Automatic DSP + FPGA control unit with shortest control response time
- 7-inch touch screen HMI for intuitive operation
- Voltage and var control of capacitor stages connected to two different bus sections and two supply transformers
- Switchable capacitor stepping or regulating transformer on-load tap-changer to achieve ideal power factor and system voltage
- Real-time display of power grid parameters through the man-machine interface
- The harmonic distortion bar graph displays up to the 50th harmonic
- Flexible Capacitor Step Combination Provides More Accurate Reactive Power Control
- The fast shut-off feature is specifically designed to avoid overcompensation in dynamic load applications such as steel pans and the mining industry
- Comprehensive protection functions, including software protection and relay protection, minimize downtime.
- Capacitor protection relays for each capacitor stage
- Detuning or filter reactors that can be used in harmonically polluted networks
- Weatherproof cabinet design for outdoor installation; modular cabinet design for easy transportation
- Control and protection test at the factory before delivery
5. Medium voltage capacitors and other power quality phenomena
The following are medium voltage capacitors and other power quality phenomena:
By continuously measuring the unbalanced current, an internal failure of the capacitor can be detected in time, at which point the capacitor will shut down the device. This prevents dangerous situations such as fire or explosion caused by worn-out capacitors. Measurements also provide real-time insight into the condition of components. Preventive maintenance can thus be performed, preventing further damage.
2) Harmonic voltage
Capacitors are sensitive to harmonic voltages. Compared with the low-voltage grid, the harmonics of the medium-voltage grid are relatively small. There are two ways to further reduce the effect of harmonic voltages on capacitors. When only small harmonic voltages are present, the capacitor bank will “detune”. This prevents the amplification of harmonics. Capacitors are tuned to act as filters when there are already a lot of voltage harmonics present. This is also known as a passive filter and can be used for any frequency
Adding capacitance changes the grid impedance. Capacitive impedance decreases with frequency. Combined with the inductance of other components in the grid, this can cause resonance within the device. It is also important to consider all modes of operation, such as emergency operation of generators.
4) Voltage level
Typically, when a capacitor bank is added, the voltage level of the unit increases. This causes unnecessary wear on the capacitors as well as other parts of the installation. Before installing a capacitor bank, conduct a study, either by measurement or simulation, to determine the necessary precautions to take, as well as the proper capacitor bank size.
6. Installation conditions for “full film” medium voltage capacitors
1. Temperature class
Standard: -25/+45 °C (other temperature classes on request) or:
– 45 °C average 1 hour
– 40 °C average 24 hours
– 30 °C average 1 year
– Possible installations: internal or external
– Stainless steel housing with one primer and several top coats (RAL 7033)
3. Compatibility with the environment
Biodegradable liquid dielectric is used in “full film” capacitors. No special environmental measures are required for installation.